Slip and Fall

When we visit a store, mall, hotel or other commercial property (as well as residential homes and property), we reasonably expect to be safe. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. When property owners are negligent, serious accidents can occur. These accidents can result in injuries that range from mild to severe.

Property owners have a legal obligation to keep their premises safe. This means promptly addressing safety hazards and addressing a lack of safety and security. When they fail to do so, they can be held accountable for the injuries that result.

At Girardi | Keese, we represent individuals who have been injured in slip-and-fall accidents. Victims may be eligible for significant compensation, and we help them explore their legal options.

Please complete our online contact form to schedule a free consultation (or call 800-401-4530). We have offices in Los Angeles and San Bernardino.

Injured On Unsafe Property?

Individuals who are injured on another person's property may be eligible for compensation. Whenever a property owner fails to maintain safe premises, anyone visiting that property is at risk for slipping, tripping, or falling, and suffering an injury. In rare cases, people even lose their lives.

Specific examples of dangerous property conditions include:

  • Slippery surfaces
  • Debris on the floor
  • Broken stairs
  • Broken railings
  • Cracked or uneven sidewalks
  • Potholes in parking lots or pavement
  • Poorly lit hallways, parking lots or staircases
  • Inadequate signage

Example of unsafe property: In the summer of 2015, six people died and seven suffered serious injuries when the balcony of an apartment unit in Berkeley collapsed. A number of people were on the balcony when it collapsed; some speculated that it collapsed under weight. But the subsequent investigation uncovered significant evidence of dry rot. It was a case of negligent construction and a failure to fix the defect.

Property Owner Responsibility

In California, property owners have a responsibility to maintain safe property conditions. What does this mean?

  • Grocery stores should promptly clean up any liquid spills.
  • Apartment building owners should promptly repair broken stairs or railings.
  • Stores should promptly remove debris in aisles and walkways.
  • Hotels should promptly repair or replace torn or gaping carpet in hallways.
  • Parking lot owners should have adequate lighting installed.
  • Property owners should fix cracks in sidewalks.
  • Property owners should fix broken stairs or handrails.

In a premises liability case, it is necessary to determine if standards of care were met. We work with expert witnesses like engineers, architects and maintenance experts, who provide valuable insight into the cause of accidents. We also work to determine if the property owner could have prevented the accident if proper safety measures were taken.

Slip-And-Fall Accident FAQs

I was injured at a friend's house. Should I sue? This can be an uncomfortable issue to address, but it is important to consider this an insurance issue – not a personal one. Accidents at a private residence are often covered by homeowners insurance. You should not have to worry about paying medical bills and other costs when an accident was caused by property owner negligence, whether that person is a friend, family member, or a stranger.

What steps should I take following a slip-and-fall accident? If you have been injured, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Also, take photos of the accident scene and the dangerous property condition (broken stairs, a crack in the sidewalk, a wrinkle in the carpet, etc.) If there were any eyewitnesses to the accident, gather their names and contact information. Also, you should consider talking to a personal injury attorney who can help you determine your legal options.

What injuries are common in slip-and-fall accidents? When someone slips and falls on a hard surface, a wide range of injuries are possible: hip fractures, knee injuries, ankle injuries, head and brain injuries, back injuries, herniated disks and other bone fractures.

How much is my slip-and-fall case worth? The answer varies from case to case. Our highly experienced attorneys will help you seek maximum compensation to cover current and long-term costs associated with your accident. This may include compensation for

  • hospital and other medical bills;
  • surgery;
  • rehabilitation;
  • physical therapy; and
  • lost wages.

Do you represent family members after a fatal accident? Yes. We represent individuals who have lost a loved one in a fatal slip-and-fall accident. Surviving loved ones may be eligible for compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. Please contact us to find out how we can help you.

Do I need an attorney? If you were injured in a trip-and-fall or slip-and-fall accident, you deserve to learn if and how an attorney can help you. If you work directly with the insurance company, you may settle your case for much less than it is actually worth. An attorney can help ensure that your financial needs are accounted for now and in the future. For example, the insurance company may not take into account the long-term financial consequences of traumatic brain injury, or TBI, which can be very costly.

How much does it cost to hire a lawyer? At Girardi | Keese, we offer a no-cost consultation. Additionally, we charge no fees upfront. You pay us only if we recover compensation for you. This is known as the "contingent fee," and it allows injured people access to trial lawyers who will represent them.

What is the statute of limitations in a slip and fall case? In general, you have two years from the date of the slip and fall to file a lawsuit against the negligent property owner. If you miss this time limit, in the majority of cases (with very few exceptions) you'll have lost your right to pursue compensation in a court of law. Do not delay. Consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

Free Consultation: Talk To An Attorney Today

If you have been injured on another person's property, you may be eligible for compensation. Contact our attorneys at 800-401-4530 to schedule a free consultation. We represent clients in Los Angeles and throughout California.