As the summer gets hotter, many California residents will need superior sun protection. After all, sun damage to the skin can lead to cancer. Thankfully, there are various products on the market that protect our skin from damaging sunrays. However, in a recent story, a man said he suffered second-degree burns from a grill after applying a sunscreen aerosol spray on parts of his body. Such incident has spurred concern over the potentially dangerous product.
The victim says that he applied Banana Boat sunscreen to his body before walking over to his grill. Subsequently, when the man progressed to his grilling station, his skin ignited into flames. The incident resulted in second-degree burns to his chest, ear and back. These were the only areas of sunscreen application.
While the warnings on the bottle of Banana Boat sunscreen warn that the aerosol product should not be used near heat, it does not express any post-application warnings.
Currently, Banana Boat officials indicate that they have started an investigation.
A burn prevention specialist believes that it is possible that the sunscreen did not fully absorb into the man's skin. It's possible that the product was still in the air, and the vapors were surrounding the man's body.
However, the victim argues, "I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin, people wouldn't use it."
A suit has not been initiated against Banana Boat; nevertheless, the victim is sharing his story with others. Ten days after the incident, the man is still showing the effects of the incident.
Source: Yahoo! News, "Massachusetts Man Catches Fire After Applying Sunscreen," Josh Haskell, June 5, 2012