David R. Lira
David R. Lira specializes in the areas of products liability, insurance bad faith, general negligence, wrongful death, and commercial litigation on behalf of Plaintiffs. An advocate of trial by jury, Mr. Lira has obtained multi-million dollar outcomes against large corporations, including a $45.5 million verdict against Ford Motor Company for a defective seatbelt; a $30 million settlement against an insurance company for wrongful denial of a claim; and a $35.6 million dollar settlement against a bus manufacturer for failure to provide seatbelts, to name a few. Mr. Lira is a Member of the prestigious International Academy of Trial Lawyers, an invitation-only worldwide organization, limited to 500 trial lawyers and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Mr. Lira was named by LAWDRAGON Magazine to its list of “The 500 Leading Litigators in America” (2006, 2008 & 2010) and its list of “The 500 Leading Plaintiff’s Lawyers in America” (2007). He has also been recognized as one of “The Top 100 lawyers in Southern California” in Los Angeles Magazine in its 2008-2012 editions. Mr. Lira has been selected as a finalist for “Trial Lawyer of the Year” by the Consumer Attorneys of California organization in 2004 and 2010 and by the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles in 2006. Recently, Mr. Lira was one of the attorneys in a unanimous U.S. Supreme Court decision holding that a seat-belt defect claim under state common law was not preempted by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Williamson v. Mazda Motor of America, Inc. (2011) 131 S.Ct. 1131. The Williamson case was one of the few victories on behalf of consumers before the U.S Supreme Court in recent years.
VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS:
Verdict, $45.5 Million - against Ford Motor Company for defective seatbelt that paralyzed a 6-year-old child.
Karlsson v. Ford Motor Company, LASC Case PC 0019980
Settlement, $35.6 Million - against tour company/manufacturer for bus rollover.
Settlement, $30 Million - against international insurance company for wrongful denial of property damage claim.
Settlement, $14 Million - against amusement park ride causing traumatic brain injury to client.
Settlement, $13 Million - against oil companies for contamination of water wells.
State of New Mexico v. Chevron USA, Inc., USDC Case No. CV 99-1254
Verdict, $9.3 Million - against homeowners association for breach of contract and fraud.
ECC Construction, Inc. v. Oak Park Calabasas HOA, LASC Case No. LC 032986
Settlement, $8 Million - against contractor for breach of contract and construction defects.
Cabrini Villas HOA v. RESG, Inc., LASC Case No. BC 287117
Settlement, $7.9 Million - against automobile manufacturer for defective airbag that caused brain injury to 6 year old child.
Settlement, $7.5 Million - against automobile manufacturer for defective seat that caused brain injuries.
Verdict, $7.4 Million - for client paralyzed in multi-vehicle collision.
Brewer v. Hussmann Corp., Fresno Superior Court, Case No. 09CEG08456
Verdict, $7.1 Million - jury verdict against Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority on behalf of brain-injured client.
Lin v. First Transit, Inc., LASC Case No. SC 309663
Verdict, $7 Million - against train operator for client sustaining internal injuries.
Kloster v. SCRRA, LASC Case No. PC 0430903
Settlement, $6.7 Million - against trucking company for wrongful death in truck v. auto accident.
Sprague v. Calinex Transport, Inc., LASC Case No. BC258661
Settlement, $5.8 Million - against national distributor of defective toy chest causing death of a two-year-old child
Settlement, $5.3 Million - against building contractor for spinal injury to worker in construction site injury case.
Webb v. ARB, Inc., LASC Case No. PC 039145
Settlement, $4.7 Million - against manufacturer of defective piping causing severe injuries.
Vigil v. IPS Corp., LASC Case No. TC 018338
Settlement, $4.6 Million - after jury selection in an aviation incident resulting in fatalities.
Olauson v. Baldwin, OCSC No. 07CC05913
Settlement, $4.3 Million - against State of California for vehicle vs. bicycle incident.
Roberts v. State of California
Verdict, $4.2 Million - against train operator for fatal incident.
Grace v. SCRRA, LASC Case No. PC043703
Verdict, $3.2 Million - against transport company for closed head injury to 63 year old male.
Beroukhim v. Delta Towing & Transport, Inc., LASC Case No. BC313942
Settlement, $2.9 Million - against component part manufacturer for defective motorcycle side stand.
Cook v. Shell Oil Co., Sacramento Superior Court, Case No. 02A506836.
Settlement, $2.9 Million - after opening statements for MTBE contamination to private property.
Settlement, $2.8 Million - against automobile manufacturer for seat belt defect (spool-out).
Settlement, $2.5 Million - against automobile manufacturer for defective seat belt (lap-only).
Navarette v. General Motors Corp., LASC Case No. BC313221
Settlement, $2.2 Million - against Fortune 500 company for breach of contract and wrongful termination.
Settlement, $2.1 Million - against automobile manufacturer for lack of crashworthiness in rollover incident.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Business Torts
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Product Liability
- Toxic Torts
- Entertainment Litigation
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1988
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1986
- University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. - 1983
- Guest Lecturer, California Judicial College
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers publication, "Best Lawyers in America", 2008 - Present
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, "Trial Lawyer of the Year Finalist", 2006
- Consumer Attorneys of California, "Trial Lawyer of the Year Finalist", 2004 & 2010
- Los Angeles Magazine, "Southern California Super Lawyer", 2004 - Present
- Lawdragon Magazine, "The Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff's Lawyers in America", 2007
- Lawdragon Magazine, "500 Leading Litigators in America", 2006 & 2010
- Lawdragon Magazine, "The Lawdragon 3000: Leading Lawyers in America", 2008, 2011 & 2012
- The National Law Journal, "Top 100 Verdicts of 2003"
- Los Angeles Magazine, Top 100 Southern California Super Lawyers, 2008 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- The College of Master Advocates and Barristers
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Trial Lawyers of Public Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Eighth Street Lawyers
Past Employment Positions
- State of New Mexico, representing state in natural resource damage litigation, Special Assistant Deputy Attorney General
- Plaintiffs? Steering Committee. In Re Chatsworth Metrolink Collision Cases, L.A.S.C. Case No. PC043703